DRC submitted a new resource:

New Animated Cannon - Animated Cannon

I had already created an animation for the old cannon. However, since I do not own the rights to that model, I decided to design and animate a new version. Here is my new cannon, animated in four directions. I hope it fits stylistically.

I find it always rewarding to expand Ultima Online despite the limited resources and technical challenges. It makes me wonder if this could have been possible earlier and why Origin/EA didn't think of it.

If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me on...

Read more about this resource...

In my opinion, OSI was only interested in generating profit instead of expanding the files, there was only content with new ones, which was also clear, that’s how they made their millions. That’s also the problem with OSI and the many servers always building on the same track instead of expanding, the files or simply making more out of it, you just look at the map structure. Instead of creating more textures or items, they always built on the same thing. It would make more sense to completely revise many things so that graphic designers and developers can expand more content here. But a lot would have to be revised, what I have been repeatedly addressing for 1 year, expand the content, make more maps, more graphics, expand the files either to add more in bulk or more mul files that then enable it and address it via the servers and new clients so that you have the old content and the new one. But for that, more have to be ready than just individuals, there has to be a community again that supports each other and I am sure that after 1 year you will have completely different times again like back then from 2000 to 2014… Don’t build after, build your own files.

It makes me wonder if this could have been possible earlier and why Origin/EA didn't think of it.

Just an educated guess, EA probably didn't animate the cannons in this way because it would increase the complexity of their implementation (therefore the amount of work and resources)
- You have to switch between static and animated id's at appropriate times to keep it synced with the client, they likely didn't want to go that far.

I don't understand why you couldn't take the original art for canon and modify it for this. There shouldn't be any issues with the rights since your basically creating your own art files after the fact and making it your own by positioning and changing pixels and shading etc. Plus the original was done before the IP laws in the 2000s.

So I say go for it have fun create away... Be bold I doubt anyone would really object or give you any grief for doing it. Always great to have creators do new things.

I am sure back in the day UO wanted to do things like this since they had this in mind for the ballista and catapult since the art files exist for it, but due to limitations and time constraints probably they just didnt get around to it and was a forethought. I mean heck they had great plans to do a Chariot at one time if you look into it. Hint Hint to animation guys lol (might give it a shot if i ever get time).

Back